Applications for Entry into Year 7 in 2019
If you have any admission queries, please contact Mrs Sharon Hood, Admissions Officer on email@example.com
Please note that we will offer 240 places for 2019 due to demand and we have removed the need to complete a Supplementary Information Form or SIF in order to make the process simpler.
Birchwood is a co-educational Academy with a roll of 1388 boys and girls. Our admission limit at Birchwood is currently 240 (8 forms of entry); this was increased four years ago to accommodate the increased number of applications we were receiving.
As an Academy, Birchwood’s Admission Policy is as follows:
- Looked after child (children in public care) A 'looked after child' is a child who is (a) in the care local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions at the time of making an application and previously looked after children (children who were looked after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted or became a subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order). This includes children who were adopted under the Adoption Act 1976 and children who were adopted under the Adoption and Childrens Act 2002.
- Siblings: Children who, at the closing date for applications, have a brother or sister currently attending Birchwood High School in years 7 – 11. They also need to live at the same permanent address from Monday to Friday and to have joined the school during years 7 – 11.
- Members of staff: Birchwood employees providing they have been employed for a minimum of two years.
- Priority area: Children who, at the closing date for applications, live in the chosen urban priority area of Bishop's Stortford, Thorley Parish and the area North West of Bishop’s Stortford namely; Albury, Berden, Birchanger, Brent Pelham, Farnham, Furneux Pelham, Little Hadham, Manuden, Much Hadham, Stocking Pelham, Takeley and The Hallingburys.
- Geographical distance: Should there be places unfilled after applying criteria 1, 2, 3 and 4 then places will be offered on the basis of shortest distance from their permanent residence to the School as determined by Hertfordshire County Council.
In order to simplify our admission process we have removed the need to complete a SIF (supplementary information form).
These rules can also be found in the LEA 'Moving On' Booklet. The LA's on-line and paper application deadline is Wednesday 31 October 2018. You will receive written confirmation of your child's place from the local authority on Friday 1 March 2019 via email or, in the post, on Saturday 2 March 2019 and you will need to confirm the place by Friday 15 March 2019.
If you wish to contact Hertfordshire Admissions Customer Care Centre, their phone number is 0300 123 4043. It is also possible to apply online: (www.hertsdirect.org/admissions). If you have any queries regarding Year 7 admissions at Birchwood please contact Mrs Hood on 01279 756375 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Birchwood offers primary school children and their parents an opportunity to visit the school, at any time during the year, via school tours which can be booked through the school reception.
If you wish to apply for an In Year admission for your child please contact Hertfordshire County Council using the link below and they will add you to our Continued Interest List. Once a place becomes available you will then be contact by Mrs Sharon Hood.
To apply on line: https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk or to call the Customer Care Centre: 0300 123 4043.