Applications for Entry into Year 7 in 2019
If you have any admission queries, please contact Mrs Sharon Hood, Admissions Officer on email@example.com.
Please note that will offer 240 places for 2019 due to demand and we have removed the need to complete a Supplementary Information Form or SIF in order to make the process simpler.
Birchwood is a co-educational Academy with a roll of 1388 boys and girls. Our admission limit at Birchwood is currently 240 (8 Forms of Entry); this was increased four years ago to accommodate the increased number of applications we were receiving.
As an Academy, Birchwood’s Admission Policy is as follows:
- Children looked after (children in public care).
- Siblings: Children who, at the closing date for applications, have a brother or sister currently attending Birchwood High School in Years 7 – 12. Current Year 7 = 31% siblings.
- Members of staff: Birchwood employees providing they have been employed for a minimum of two years.
- Priority area: Children who, at the closing date for applications, live in the chosen urban priority area of Bishop's Stortford, Thorley Parish and the area North West of Bishop’s Stortford namely; Albury, Berden, Birchanger, Brent Pelham, Farnham, Furneux Pelham, Little Hadham, Manuden, Much Hadham, Stocking Pelham, Takeley and The Hallingburys.
- Geographical distance: Should there be places unfilled after applying criteria 1, 2, 3 and 4 then places will be offered on the basis of shortest distance from their permanent residence to the School as determined by Hertfordshire County Council.
In order to simplify our admission process we have removed the need to complete a SIF (supplementary information form).
These rules can also be found in the LEA ‘Moving On’ Booklet. The LA's on-line and paper application deadline is Wednesday 31 October 2018. You will receive written confirmation of your child's place from the local authority on Friday 1 March 2019 via email or, in the post, on Saturday 2 March 2019 and you will need to confirm the place by Friday 15 March 2019.
If you wish to contact Hertfordshire Admissions Customer Care Centre, their phone number is 0300 123 4043. It is also possible to apply online: (www.hertsdirect.org/admissions). If you have any queries regarding Year 7 admissions at Birchwood please contact Mrs Hood on 01279 756375 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Birchwood offers primary school children and their parents an opportunity to visit the school, at any time during the year, via school tours which can be booked through the school reception.