What It's All About
The House System has become an integral part of the student experience at Birchwood and continues to grow year on year.
The System is built upon the key principles of ‘Encouraging all, Supporting all and Welcoming all’ and strives to provide all students with a diverse range of opportunities and experiences that encourage engagement and community cohesion.
Each House: Red, Yellow, Green and Blue, is led by a team of Sixth-Formers; the House Leaders and Sports Leaders. The Leaders work collaboratively with Mr Ruggins and Miss Peet (Heads of the House System) to arrange a wide variety of inclusive House Events, Competitions, Charity events and Assemblies.
Each Tutor group has been allocated one of the House colours (2 per House per Year group) so that the students and Tutors can support and encourage one another.
The House Points System aims to recognise all contributions towards school life made by the students. This is in the spirit of creating a culture in which individual achievements are celebrated as a collective and students can experience a sense of belonging. Academic, extra-curricular and pastoral achievements are all recognised via the System. The winner of the Annual House Cup is announced during the last week of term in a whole school House assembly.
There are many ways in which students are able to earn House points…
- House Events: Sports Day, Birchwood's Got Talent, Strictly Birchwood, Band Night…
- House Competitions: Countdown, The Cube, Design a poster/ticket, Big Fat Quiz of the Year…
- School Activities: Being part of a School Production, signing up to the Duke of Edinburgh Award, logging on to view Interim reports…
- Random Acts of Kindness (RAK): Students are nominated by others for these points
- Attendance: 100% Attendance = 10 Points; Green (above 96%) = 5 Points; Improving from Red to Amber = 10 Points
- Behaviour Bonus: For every day students in a house receive no On-Calls, their House receives 1 Point
- Achievements: Every Credit received by a student is converted to a House point