A Cookie is a simple text file that is stored by the website on your computer. They allow the website to recognise when you want to view certain pages or carry out certain actions, such as submit the Contact Us form. Cookies do not store personal information about you and they are deleted from your computer when you close your browser window.
You have the option of making the Cookie we set a Persistent Cookie. This means that it will remain on your computer for a period of thirty days from the day it is accepted, unless you delete all Cookies before the end of this time.
The Cookies we set
- "Cookies Accepted" Cookie
- When you tell us that you will accept Cookies from the Birchwood High School website, we set a simple Cookie that tells our website that you have accepted Cookies(!). This means that you should only have to click on the “I Accept Cookies” tick box once per visit.
- Session Cookie
- This Cookie allows the website to remember certain things about your visit. It allows the website to store the fact that you have entered a valid username and password when you log in, for example. Without this, you would be unable to log in and use the Student Reporting area. The facts that the Session Cookie allows the website to store do not include any personal information from your computer and they are deleted when you close the browser window.
- Third-Party Cookies
- Google Maps: Once you have accepted Cookies, you will be able to access the Birchwood On Tour World Map. This feature requires the use of Google Maps, and so you will be accepting a third-party Cookie from Google if you choose to view the map.
- Google Analytics: In order to monitor the way that the website is working, we may set Cookies from Google Analytics. These do not store any personal data about you, but they allow us to view anonymous data about the way that people use the Birchwood High School website in order to improve the service we provide. This will only be done if you have already accepted Cookies from Birchwood High School.
- Twitter: In order to view our Social Media page, you must have accepted Cookies as this page has our embedded Twitter timeline.
Privacy - Public Website
- Information you provide
- The main school website allows you to send information to us. These facilities include the Contact Us form and Alumni form that are available to all visitors.
- Contact Us form
- The information you provide in the Contact Us form is collected via a secure link and then sent via e-mail to the Administration staff, who then forward on the e-mail to the most appropriate member of staff. This information is not stored once the e-mail has been dealt with.
- Alumni System
- The Alumni System is a way for our former students to let us know how they have progressed since leaving Birchwood High School. The provision of all information is voluntary, and we reserve the right to use this information to develop a summary of the destinations of our students. The information is stored on our secure server until it is used.
Links that either take you to a page that will set Cookies, or to an external website that may set Cookies, will be marked with an asterisk (*).